Covid Information

Useful Information

COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Information

Please note, for the latest travel advice and travel restrictions relating to COVID-19, visit our guide here or more information on

Photo Identification/Passports.

If you are arriving into the Channel Islands direct from the UK or Republic of Ireland, you do not need a passport but all visitors do require some form of photographic identification. If in doubt over acceptable forms of ID, please contact your carrier direct.

If you are arriving into the Channel Islands from outside the UK or Republic of Ireland, irrespective of your nationality, you must have a valid passport or travel document.

Non-British /European nationals traveling to the Channel Islands from outside the UK or Republic of Ireland, should check whether they require a visa. If a visa is required it must be obtained prior to travel from a British Consulate or British High Commission in their usual country of residence.

For further details on immigration, please contact the Guernsey Border Agency Office on +44 (0) 1481 221417 or e-mail:

Healthcare and Treatment

Guernsey's Health Service is not part of the UK National Health Service.  Medical insurance is therefore strongly recommended.  There is is no reciprocal health agreement between Guernsey and the British Government.  This means that UK residents traveling to the Islands will also be charged for medical treatment within a hospital.  There are a limited number of exemptions for certain contagious diseases and compulsory psychiatric treatment.  For information on Emergency Department charges, please visit the website or download the leaflet.

Primary care doctors, dentists and other health professionals, such as physiotherapists, are in private practice and all patients are required to pay for treatment.  This can be at a surgery, at your temporary residence, or at the Princess Elizabeth Hospital including Accident & Emergency.  There are also charges for the ambulance service and repatriation, to where you are ordinarily resident, if required

Medical insurance is strongly recommended.

Policies should be checked to ensure that cover is provided for travel to the Channel Islands, and for stays in the kind of accommodation you have chosen, including staying with friends and family. 

For further information, please contact the Health and Social Services Departments on +44 (0) 1481 72524 or visit the website.

Motor Caravans, Trailers, Caravans & Trailer Tents

A limited number of motorhomes can be accommodated on the four authorised campsites on the Island - Fauxquets Valley, La Balloterie, Le Vaugrat and Beaucette Campervans.  A motorhome permit must be obtained in advance from the campsite and this must be available for inspection by the ferry operator and the Guernsey Border Agency.  In addition, touring caravans can now also be accommodated at Le Vaugrat campsite by permit which must be obtained in advance from the campsite and be available for inspection by the ferry operator and the Guernsey Border Agency.  Permission is not needed to bring a trailer tent to the Island.  More information can be found on the website.

Money matters

Sterling is the currency of Guernsey, which has its own notes and coins - your pound in the UK is worth the same when you spend in Guernsey. UK and Jersey currency can also be used within the Islands, but Channel Island sterling is not accepted in the UK. Major credit cards are widely accepted throughout the Islands. Some businesses will accept euros, although change will generally be given in sterling. ATM machines are available at all high street banks  in St Peter Port, the airport and selected sites, including supermarkets, garages and some out of town banks throughout the Island.

VAT (Value Added Tax)

There is no VAT in Guernsey.

Licensing Hours

Guernsey licensing hours for a café, bar or restaurant are: 10am – 12.45am Monday to Saturday and 12 noon – 12.45am on Sundays for persons over 18, Christmas Day and Good Friday: 11am – 2.30pm and 7pm – 10.30pm. Under 18s are only allowed in pubs and cafés if the premises hold an Under 18s Permit (which means designated areas and times) or in restaurants.

Smoking Ban

Smoking in enclosed public areas and workplaces is not permitted in Guernsey and Herm.  This includes pubs, restaurants and serviced visitor accommodation (Hotels & Guest Accommodation). There is an exception permitting smoking in designated guest bedrooms, but such rooms are few in number, so please check before you book. Alderney has similar legislation with no smoking in hotel bedrooms.

Smoking is banned in all enclosed catering premises and all enclosed licenced premises on Sark or any area within these spaces. Accommodations may allow smoking in bedrooms only if there is clear information on display to this effect.

Customs Allowance

Guernsey is not part of the EU; therefore the maximum allowances are:


200 cigarettes or 100 cigarillos or  50 cigars or 250 grams of tobacco


 > 22% by volume (spirits/liqueurs) 1 litre or under 22% volume (inc fortified, sparkling wine and other liqueurs) 2 litres and Still table wine  4 litres plus 4 extra litres of still table wine if no spirits, liqueurs, fortified or sparkling wines are purchased and Beer or cider (or a combination)  50 litres

Other Goods:

a) If brought in from a place within the customs territory of the European Community, and provided all duties have been paid, goods to an unlimited value.

b) If brought in from a place outside the customs territory of the European Community by a person

– travelling on a commercial air or sea service, goods to a value of £390

– travelling by private aircraft or private vessel, goods to a value of £270

If you bring something worth more than the monetary limit, you will have to pay duty on the full value, not just on the value above the limit.  If you are travelling as a family or group, you cannot pool your individual allowances towards an item worth more than the limit. You will have to pay duty on the full value of the item. People under the age of 17 cannot have the tobacco or alcohol allowance.

Public Holidays

Public holidays are the same as England with the addition of Liberation Day on 9 May.


The code for Guernsey is 01481 from the UK and +44 1481 internationally. Mobile networks require a roaming facility plus international dialling codes. ‘Pay as you go’ phones only operate in Guernsey where there is an agreement with the network provider. Please check with your provider if in doubt. Please note roaming charges will apply if you use your UK mobile phone in Guernsey.


Electricity is supplied throughout the Islands at 240 volts (50 hertz). You will need an adaptor if you are travelling from Continental Europe or further afield. 

Other language sites.

Please use the links on the right hand side of the page to visit our French, German and Dutch language sites.

Keep in Touch

Sign up to receive the latest news and offers!

Subscribe arrow

By pressing subscribe you agree to be contacted by us according to our privacy policy