The garden had been part of the de Saumarez family's private estate, which was acquired by the States of Guernsey following the death of the fourth Lord de Saumarez in 1937. While the park itself has been substantially used for public purposes, the Victorian walled garden fell into a state of disuse and disrepair over the years.
Since 2006 the substantial amount of much needed site clearance has been largely carried out by our band of willing volunteers, and a six-bed vegetable layout plus soft fruit and coarse vegetable areas have been developed.
Although work on the walled garden is still in progress, it is already producing well, yielding crops in varieties appropriate to the Victorian era. In both 2008 and 2009, produce from the garden gained several first prizes in the Northern Agricultural & Horticultural Society's annual show held in Saumarez Park.
The park and part of the adjacent nature trail contain the finest single collection of trees in Guernsey, and a stroll around will be well rewarded. Interesting guided walks are available most days (booking essential) from May to September, which touch on the history of the Park and some of its present usages. These start at 2pm from Saumarez Park Tea Rooms and last about an hour and a half.