Main Station: Braye Station
Alderney+44 (0) 7911 739572 firstname.lastname@example.org View Map Visit Website
Alderney has the only working railway in the Channel Islands. It was built by the British Government in the 1840's and officially opened in 1847 by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert who rode on the railway in a horse drawn tender. Its original purpose was to carry stone from the eastern end of the island to build the breakwater and the Victorian forts.
Nowadays, the old train wagons which have been replaced by two London Underground carriages and a diesel engine carry visitors from Braye Road Station to Mannez Station near the Lighthouse. From train enthusiasts to families, this historic railway provides lots of interest and entertainment.
Don't miss the nearby Miniature Railway! Recently completely refurbished, this 7.25” gauge railway has 440 yards of track, wending its way through a wilderness of willow, gorse and bracken. You get a good view of Mannez wildlife pond and the line runs close to the lighthouse.
Operates May to September - check the Alderney Railway's website for dates.