After the German occupation of the Channel Islands during WWII in 1940, Adolf Hitler feared that the British would try to quickly regain the islands. Guernsey and its sister island of Alderney were therefore strongly fortified. One of the heavy gun batteries in Guernsey was Battery Mirus, and in 1942 it was ready for operation with its four 305mm. guns.
This site is not normally accessible to the public so this is a rare opportunity to step inside a key part of Guernsey’s wartime history.
Festung Guernsey’s aim is to make available to the public examples of the most important fortifications built in Guernsey by the German occupying forces during WWII between 1940 and 1945.
Park at La Houguette Primary School in the parish of St Peter’s and follow the directions.
Donations towards Festung Guernsey’s work will be gratefully received.