German Military Underground Hospital
The largest construction in the Channel Islands at 7,000 square metres, the underground hospital was hewn out of solid rock by slave workers who had been captured by German forces during the occupation of the island during World War Two. Construction began in the winter of 1940 and was built underground so as not to be seen by overhead planes given the site was also used as an ammunition store. The hospital is truly an eerie insight into life on the island at the time.
Admission: Children £1, Adults £3.50
Opening: Open Daily: April: 2pm - 4pm. May - October: 10am - 12pm and 2pm - 4pm. November & March: Limited opening
Closed: December, January, February. Please check with the Guernsey Information Centre for details.
Perry's guide reference: Page 23 G4
Accessible using the following bus routes: 71